An Inter-Deanery Transfer (IDT) allows specialty trainees to move between UK deaneries during their training programme due to an unforeseen, significant change in their personal circumstances since their appointment to training, without having to apply for a new post through the normal application process.
A different process applies for doctors in the Foundation Programme.
The Junior Doctors Committee (JDC), Health Education England (HEE), London Shared Services and COPMeD have developed a refreshed national IDT process, which launched in April 2013. All IDT applications are now centrally managed by London Shared Services.
The national process aims to deliver a fair and consistent transfer system via:
- a single electronic application form submitted via the IDT website portal, wherever you wish to transfer to or from
- two windows for transfers each year, in April and October
- a national eligibility criteria
- a single communication channel
- an enquiries service for those interested in transferring
Successfully transferring to another deanery depends on whether you meet the eligibility criteria, have supplied the required evidence and whether there is a vacancy in the region (or regions) to which you have applied.
Application window: August 2014
The next application window will open in August 2014.
Visit the Shared Services website for applications guidance, eligibility criteria and the online application portal