Praise for clinical leadership award nominees
14 November 2012
The high standard of entries for an award recognising excellence in clinical leadership has been praised by doctors leaders.
Nine doctors and one nurse have been shortlisted for the HSJ (Health Service Journal) Clinical Leader of the Year Award, sponsored by the BMA and the GMC.
BMA consultants committee chair Paul Flynn, who was one of the judges, said: ‘The standard of entries was extraordinarily good and there were moments when I really felt astounded by the amazing things people had achieved.
‘What impressed me most was the level of innovation. The recurring theme was about making the care of patients better rather than candidates trying to put themselves on a pedestal or get publications in journals.’
The other judges were GMC chief executive Niall Dickson, Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust chief executive Tony Spotswood and Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust chief executive Mark Newbold.
The winner will be announced at the HSJ Awards ceremony at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London on November 20.
The nominees are:
- Caroline Allum, joint deputy medical director and consultant radiologist at Whittington Hospital NHS Trust, London
- Rhidian Bramley, chief clinical information officer and director of radiology at the Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester
- Dan Dalton, medical lead for forensic services and consultant forensic psychiatrist at Hertfordshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Jason Gardosi, director at the West Midlands Perinatal Institute
- Paul Grundy, neurosciences clinical director and consultant neurosurgeon at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust
- Sanjeev Nayak, consultant neuroradiologist at University Hospital of North Staffordshire NHS Trust
- Siobhan Quenby, consultant obstetrician at University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust
- Opinder Sahota, professor in orthogeriatric medicine and consultant physician at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
- John Walsh, consultant cardiologist at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Chris Webster, lead cancer nurse at Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust.